What Restrictions Does the City Have On Watering Landscape?
PLEASE NOTE: This ordinance applies during all periods of time in which no water use restriction are in effect. Visit the Water Conservation webpage for any current notices/orders regarding restrictions.
City of Boca Raton Code of Ordinances:
Section 17-57 - Landscape Irrigation Restrictions:
- Application - The provisions of this section shall apply during all periods of time in which no water use restrictions, as provided in sections 17-55 and 17-56, are in effect. The provisions of this section shall apply to all use of water for irrigation regardless of source, except (a) reclaimed water may be utilized for irrigation purposes each day of the week from 5 p.m. through 8 a.m., and (b) irrigation with reclaimed water by golf courses shall be exempt from all day of the week and time restrictions.
- Restrictions - The use of water for sprinkling or other irrigation of lawns, landscaped areas, golf courses or other outdoor vegetation in the city is restricted as follows:
- The use of water for sprinkling and irrigation is prohibited on Friday and between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Saturday through Thursday.
- Water use between the hours of 5 p.m. and 8 a.m. Saturday through Thursday shall be limited to 3 days a week as follows:
- Property with odd-numbered addresses shall be permitted to irrigate on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. An odd-numbered address means a house address, box number or rural route ending in the number 1, 3, 5, 7 or 9 or the letters N through Z.
- Property with even-numbered addresses shall be permitted to irrigate on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. An even-numbered address means a house address, box number or rural route ending in the number 0, 2, 4, 6 or 8 or the letters A through M and property which has no street address.
- Irrigation shall not extend beyond a 4-hour period on any given parcel of property less than 5 acres in size.
- Variances - Any user holding a valid variance issued by the South Florida Water Management District may continue to avail himself of the provisions of the variance upon filing of the variance with the city.
- Enforcement - Every police officer having jurisdiction in the area governed by this section shall, in connection with all other duties imposed by law, diligently enforce the provisions of this section. In addition, the city manager may also delegate enforcement responsibility for this section to other departments of city government.
- Penalties - Violation of any provision of this section shall be subject to the following penalties:
- For the first violation, by a fine not to exceed $50.
- For as second violation, by a fine not to exceed $150.
- For a third violation, by a fine not to exceed $250 and by termination of water service to the premises until the violation is corrected.
- Each day in violation of this section shall constitute a separate offense. Law enforcement officials and others as delegated may provide violators with no more than 1 written warning. In addition to the sanctions contained herein, the city may take any other appropriate legal action, including but not limited to emergency injunctive action, to enforce the provisions of this section. (Code 1966, § 24-13; Ord. No. 3857, § 1(24-14), 7-10-90; Ord. No. 4476, § 1, 12-14-99)