Planning & Zoning
The City is currently closed due to the COVID-19 Emergency, except to provide essential services (which presents a series of challenges and demands on City operations and available resources). While we may accept your application or resubmittal, due to the COVID-19 Emergency review of applications is likely to take longer than normal, and we are unable at this time to provide a timeline regarding when comments will be issued and/or (where applicable) when a PAR (including Preliminary, Compliance and Administrative IDA applications) meeting will be held. Further, not all reviewers may be available to review your project until after all offices have reopened. Please note while City staff will communicate with external reviewers (Lake Worth Drainage District, Florida Power and Light, etc.) to obtain their respective review and comments, it is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all external reviewer comments are provided to the assigned planner for each submittal review. Additionally, while the City may accept your application or resubmittal at this time, by submitting an application or resubmittal, you agree to pay the required amount of fees and deposit once the COVID-19 Emergency has ended (and failure to remit the required fees and deposit will result in the application being deemed incomplete, and therefore in ceasing of review of the application, return of the application and closure of the matter). Lastly, the City cannot guarantee when the application will be scheduled for any public hearings that may be required in connection with the application (and the City may, as a direct result of the COVID-19 Emergency, be required to schedule such public hearings beyond time periods provided by law).
ADA COMPLIANCE: In an effort to ensure that the City’s website is accessible to everyone, including those who use assistive devices, all documents and forms are being reviewed and updated to meet accessibility standards. More information is available on the Website Renovation page. If you are unable to locate the documents you need, please either fill out a Public Records Request form or call the Development Service’s Office at 561-393-7789.
Goals & Responsibilities
The goal of the Planning and Zoning Division is to provide for the coordinated development of the City of Boca Raton. Specific activities of the division include but are not limited to the following:
- Review development plans and prepare recommendations for presentation to the Planning and Zoning Board, Community Redevelopment Agency, Environmental Advisory Board, City Council, Historic Preservation, Zoning Board of Adjustment, and Community Appearance Board.
- Plan for growth, change and enhancement of the City through special plans and studies.
- Recommend and prepare amendments to the City Code pertaining to planning and zoning.
- Review amendments to the adopted Comprehensive Plan and prepare recommendations.
- Implementation of the Comprehensive Plan.
- Review permits and Business Tax Receipts for compliance with the City’s zoning regulations.
- Review permits for compliance with the City’s environmental regulations.
- Prepare maps and graphics for presentation to other Departments, advisory boards and the City Council.
- Manage the city’s land records and associated databases.
- Assist in the acquisition and disposal of real property, easements, rights-of-way and rights-of-entry.
- Provide information on land records and related matters to the public