Facility Improvements & Closures
- 1/16/24 - Renovations to the South Parking Lot and Boardwalk will begin. Entrances to the boardwalk will be restricted during this period, with NO ACCESS to the boardwalk from GLNC after 4pm. To access GLNC from the boardwalk after hours, please use the sidewalk along A1A.
The North Parking Lot will remain open with extremely limited parking. Visitors may find additional paid parking at Red Reef West.
View updated map
- 11/29/23- Exciting changes ahead! Gumbo Limbo Nature Center's upcoming renovations include updates to our nature center and parking lot to increase accessibility. Construction is expected to begin in December and should last through Spring of 2024. During this time, access and parking may be extremely limited. Updates will be posted regularly. The sea turtle conservation exhibit has been temporarily relocated from the nature center to the Children's Science Explorium at Sugar Sand Park while construction is ongoing.
- Scope of work: Three new ADA parking spaces and a ramp to the boardwalk will be built. The front and side doors will be replaced with wider, accessible doors and a new ramp will be constructed at the front of nature center.
- Doors: Both the front and side doors are being replaced with wider, accessible doors. While construction is ongoing, access to the nature center may be limited.
- Boardwalk Access: Due to construction in the parking lot and at the nature center, there may be times where there will be no access to the boardwalk from Gumbo Limbo’s property. During this time, patrons wishing to visit the boardwalk will be able to access it at Red Reef West.
- Restrooms: Both restrooms will be completely renovated to meet the current ADA standard. During construction, a trailer restroom will be available in the parking lot for staff, volunteers, and visitors.
- Parking lot and ramp: During parking lot construction (ADA parking spaces and ramp), the south loop of the parking lot will be closed for safety. Additional paid parking will be available at Red Reef West.
- What about the Sea Turtle Exhibit? The Sea Turtle exhibit will be temporarily relocated to the Children's Science Explorium while construction is ongoing.