City Nature Challenge
Join the City Nature Challenge!
Each year the City participates in a global bioblitz to document the nature living in our urban environments. Help this global citizen science effort and learn more about the plants and animals in your neighborhood by participating in this year's City Nature challenge.
April 29 - May 2nd
How to participate:
- Download the iNaturalist app from Google Play or the App Store, or from www.inaturalist.org.
- Head outside and make observations between April 29 and May 2 anywhere in the City of Boca Raton or the Beach and Park District.
- That's it! All observations made within the City on those dates will be automatically added to the City's iNaturalist project.
What counts as an observation?
The City of Boca Raton is participating in the City Nature Challenge in order to get a snapshot of the biodiversity in the City as well as introduce residents and visitors to the nature and wildlife that exists all around us.
Observations should be of wild specimens. Make observations of the birds, butterflies, insects, and mammals that come and go from your yard, or the plants and trees you see walking around your neighborhood or through the City parks and natural areas. Try to avoid observations of plants you planted in a garden or pot, pets, or animals in captivity.
For more information:
- City Nature Challenge: https://citynaturechallenge.org/
- iNaturalist: www.inaturalist.org/
- City Nature Challenge Boca Raton: https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/city-nature-challenge-2022-boca-raton
I'm an expert, how can I help?
Observations made between April 30 and May 3 will automatically be added to the City Nature Challenge Boca Raton Project. Before May 9, as many of those observations as possible need to be identified. If you have a strong knowledge of native plants and animals, please consider taking time to identify observations!
Join the City, Palm Beach County, and the Boca Libraries for a BIOBLITZ at Pondhawk Natural Area
Explore the City's trails and natural areas!
Map of natural areas and trails in the City of Boca Raton:
- Yamato Scrub: 701 Clint Moore Rd, Boca Raton, FL 33487
- Pondhawk Natural Area: 1501 Spanish River Blvd, Boca Raton, FL 33431
- Sugar Sand Park: 300 S Military Trail, Boca Raton, FL 33486
- Blazing Star Preserve: 1751 W Camino Real, Boca Raton, FL 33486
- Serenoa Glade Preserve: 1101 NW 15th St, Boca Raton, FL 33486
- Gumbo Limbo Nature Center (Red Reef West) Boardwalk: 1400 N Ocean Blvd, Boca Raton, FL 33432
- Multiuse trails: Patch Reef Trail, El Rio Trail, AIA path.
- View all City parks (PDF)