Ongoing Volunteer Positions
Aquarium Guide- Be an environmental educator. Learn and teach about the habitats and species we have at Gumbo Limbo. Interact with visitors from all over the world and educate about the marine aquariums and coastal conservation.
School Program/ Camp Assistant- Help Gumbo Limbo's education team lead field trips and summer camp programs. Set up and help run craft projects, science experiments. Assist staff during lessons and guided tours.
Evening Sea Turtle Programs- Assist Marine Turtle Specialists with crowd control and answering questions at night time sea turtle hatchling releases or turtle walk programs.
Sea Turtle Husbandry - Assist in the daily operations of the Sea Turtle Rehabilitation Facility. Duties include cleaning tanks, facility upkeep, and visitor interaction.
Summer Volunteer Programs
Counselor in Training (CIT) Volunteer
Do you want to develop your leadership skills? Do you love working with children? Are you passionate about nature and marine conservation? Do you want to have fun while gaining valuable experience this Summer? Become a Gumbo Limbo CIT!
All Volunteers Must:
- Be at least 16 years old (at least 18 to work teen camp weeks)
- Commit to working at least 2 full weeks of summer camp
- Interview with the volunteer coordinator and camp director
- If selected, attend Mandatory Orientation/training sessions on June 7, 8, 9, 2022
How to Apply:
- Email [email protected] Christie Collins to request full position description and a volunteer application.
- Submit the application via email to Christie Collins. The next step, if chosen, will be an interview.
Gumbo Limbo’s Outdoor Summer camp runs weekly from June 13th to July 29th. CITs will be responsible for helping staff lead camp programs. Camp activities include seining, kayaking, crafts, games, snorkeling, science projects, and more!
Summer High School Student Volunteer Program
Now accepting high school student volunteers for Summer 2022! Volunteers can earn community service hours for school while learning about Florida's coastal and marine environments. Only accepting 35 applicants.
- Be 16-18 years old
- Commit to volunteering 50+ hours during summer break (any service hours will not be signed for unless the student has completed 50 or more hours)
- Complete a level 2 background check with the City of Boca Raton
- Mandatory volunteer orientation at Gumbo Limbo
How to Apply:
- Email Dawn Perez to request a volunteer application.
- Submit the application via email to Dawn Perez. The next step, if chosen, will be an interview.
Students will work with staff and experienced volunteers to learn about Florida's coastal environment and marine species. Students will gain experience in customer service, public speaking, educating the public, and assist with leading programs. As volunteers, students will be environmental educators, teaching guests of all ages about Gumbo Limbo and the ecosystems represented at the center.