Things to Do & Know
A recurring feature in our monthly newsletter...
Each month we bring you a curated list of the Top Things to Do & Know in Boca Raton. Let's kick off 2020 with some awesome events this January. Popular events like Sunday Jazz Brunch and Food Truck Fridays make a return, and we see the addition of new programs like Sunday Family Bingo. Happy 2020 Boca Raton!
City Special Events
- Food Truck Fridays
- Friday, January 10 | 11:30am - 2pm | Wildflower Park
- Bring your appetite as the City features popular food trucks and live music! On each date, a different local park will be showcased and food trucks will bring sweet and savory dishes to make for the perfect outing!
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day Ceremony & Celebration
- Monday, January 20 | 10:30am - 4pm | Mizner Park Amphitheater
- March along Federal Hwy from the MLK Jr. Memorial (200 Ruby Street) to Mizner Park Amphitheater (590 Plaza Real) at 10am.
- Join community leaders and local organizations for a ceremony to honor the life and legacy of Martin Luther King Jr. at 11:30am. Celebrate a unified community with live musical and dance performances, amusement rides, games, crafts, food and more!
- Visit Special Events for more information and details.
Mizner Park Amphitheater
- Sunday Jazz Brunch
- Sunday, January 12 | 11am - 3pm
- Spend your Sunday with Brunch, Beats, and Brass at Mizner Park Amphitheater Sunday Jazz Brunch, soak up some sunshine, Jazzy tunes. Come hungry, we will have brunch food trucks, and a mimosa and Bloody Mary bar. Seating will be available, guests are encourage to bring their own chairs and picnic blankets.
- Brunch: Chubby Mermaid, Sweet and Eats, Cielito Artisan Pops, Seasons BBQ, and KaPoW! Noodle Bar.
- Brass + Beats: Chloe Dolandis performing two sets.
- Sips: Mimosas, Bloody Marys and more!
- Chinese Spring Festival Celebration 2020
- Saturday, January 18 | 3pm - 9pm | Free and Open to the public
- CASEC is excited to organize another fun filled event to celebrate the Spring Festival of 2020. Like Christmas in Western countries, Chinese New Year is to be celebrated with family and friends and enjoy a hearty meal together. We would like to invite the community to celebrate the Spring Festival on January 18, 2020 with us. This free to public program intents to provide lion dance, classical Chinese dance and music performance, as well as Chinese and Asian food and arts.
- Saturday, January 18 | 3pm - 9pm | Free and Open to the public
Downtown Boca has introduced new community engagement elements - including festoon lighting, bistro tables and chairs, umbrellas and cornhole - to Sanborn Square, its central downtown green space. The new elements were envisioned to engage the downtown community by making Sanborn Square a more active and social destination for Downtown Boca residents, visitors and for the benefit of local businesses. See them yourself at Sanborn Square (between Federal Highway and NE 1st Avenue just north of Palmetto Park Road).
Shows at Sugar Sand Park Community Center
- To Life 2
- January 10 - February 2 (See Dates)
- $40 per person; $35 group rate (6 or more tickets purchased in one transaction); $35 season tickets
- Presented by Hy Juter. Join us for part 2 of an entertaining musical depicting the contribution of Jewish composers to Broadway. Picking up where we left off last year, we’ll feature new songs performed by four different vocalists along with the tidbits, and anecdotes on the lives of renowned 20th century composers like Gershwin, Berlin, Lerner & Loewe, Harnick, and Herman. Rated G.
- Aesop's Fables
- Sunday, January 5 | 11am & 2pm
- $8 adults; $6 children 12 & under. Juice and cookies are included with each child’s ticket.
- Presented by Bright Star Theatre. Perfect for younger audiences, these classic tales entertain but also share a strong message about treating others fairly and knowing right from wrong. Stories like “The Boy Who Cried Wolf,” “The Tortoise and The Hare,” and “The Lion and The Mouse” leave audiences with a message that is both timely and timeless. Rated G.
- Explorium Traveling Exhibit Sneak Peek
- Friday, January 31 | 7 - 9pm
- Preview the new Ocean Bound traveling exhibit before it opens to the public at the Children's Science Explorium for FREE. Take part in demonstrations and make and takes, learn about programming, and more!
Gumbo Limbo Nature Center
Eco-Watch Lecture Series
Gumbo Limbo's lecture series is celebrating 35 years of Gumbo Limbo Nature Center! Learn about the past, present, and future of science and conservation. Attend one or all of Gumbo Limbo Nature Center’s presentations by a guest scientist, author, researcher, or other expert. Recommended for ages 14 & up. Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- January 14: Dr. Kirt Rusenko, Marine Conservationalist, Gumbo Limbo Nature Center
- January 28: Gordon Gilbert, Founder of Gumbo Limbo Nature Center
New this year, hosted by the beautiful Boca Raton Spanish River Library. Meet on the 2nd floor mezzanine of the library located at 1501 NW Spanish River Blvd. Cost per person: $5 donation. Reservations can be made online (January 14, January 28) or in advance at Gumbo Limbo Nature Center only; Cash donations cannot be accepted at event.
Downtown & Spanish River Libraries
- FAU Research in Action: Your Role in Combatting Cyberbullying
- Thursday, January 16 | 1pm - 2:30pm | Downtown Library
- Technology misuse among youth is a serious widespread issue, but proven actionable strategies help make cyberspace a safer place. Join Sameer Hinduja, Ph.D., as he talks about the roles of parents—and the entire community—in addressing cyberbullying, sexting and unwise social media use among youth.
- FAU Love Libraries Day Men's Basketball Game
- Saturday, January 18 | 4pm | FAU's Abessinio Court
- Cheer on FAU's Men's Basketball team as they take on UAB! Get $5 tickets for Boca Raton Public Library cardholders. Visit FAUTickets.com/library and use promo code: LIBRARY or call 1-866-FAU-OWLS. Advance purchases only.
- Story Central: Our Nation Parks in Song and Story
- Saturday, January 25 | 4pm - 5:30pm | Downtown Library
- This extraordinary collaboration between award-winning storyteller Gary Bremen and Florida's historian-in-song Grant Livingston celebrates Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Gettysburg, Mammoth Cave, Selma, Stonewall, Yosemite and our own Biscayne National Park. (For adults and children ages 12 and up).
Patch Reef Park
- Sunday Family Bingo
- Sunday, January 5 | 1:30 - 3pm Register Now!
- $5 per person
- Bring the entire family for Sunday BINGO!! All ages will enjoy this family favorite. Come join us for a game of Bingo filled with lots of laughs, FUN beverages, snacks and winnings!
- Vizcaya Museum - Adult Day Trip
- Thursday, January 16 | 8:15am - 2:15pm Register Now!
- $68 per person
- Back by popular demand, join us for a day of magnificent exploration and discovery at the world-renowned Vizcaya in Coconut Grove. We’ll be whisked off to explore Vizcaya’s European-inspired gardens where you’ll experience an abundance of architectural structures, elaborate fountains and antique sculptures. A delicious lunch will follow and is included in the tour pricing.
What's your green New Year's resolution?
There are some big issues in the world related to sustainability and the environment. Gumbo Limbo Nature Center and the Office of Sustainability are working to break down the solutions into bite sized weekly actions. Follow #WakeUpWednesday on social media every week for information on some of the big issues and learn about the actions you can take. This year resolve to be a part of the solution with us. Visit the #WakeUpWednesday webpage.