Climate Change in the City of Boca Raton
Climate Change is a global environmental, economic, and social problem that can be tackled in part through local actions. Actions on Climate Change fall in to two main categories:
Mitigation: Reducing the root causes of climate change, namely emissions of greenhouse gases, to both slow the rate and reduce the impact of changes.
Adaptation: Investing in infrastructure, technology, and behavior changes that allow individuals, economies, and communities to adjust to the different conditions caused by climate change.
City of Boca Raton Climate Mitigation Actions
- In 2019 the City released its first Sustainability Action Plan which includes actions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- In 2020 the City conducted its first Greenhouse Gas Inventory to create a baseline from which to measure progress.
- The City Council has passed multiple resolutions related to climate action.
City of Boca Raton Adaptation Actions
- The City of Boca Raton conducted a Climate Change Vulnerability Assessment (CCVA) in order to inform adaptation actions and strategies. The CCVA is a project of a regional collaboration called the Southern Palm Beach County Coastal Resilience Partnership (CRP). www.coastalresiliencepartnership.org
- Learn about sea level rise and your individual flood risk on our sea level rise resource page.
For more information on climate change:
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA): https://www.noaa.gov/climate
- NOAA State Climate Summaries: Florida Florida - State Summaries 2022 (ncics.org)
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA): https://climate.nasa.gov/
- National Climate Assessment: https://www.globalchange.gov/